- Chelsea vs Tottenham preview, form, team news, predicted line-ups + key man
- Arsenal vs Everton preview, form, team news, predicted line-ups + key man
- West Brom vs Manchester United preview, form, team news, predicted line-ups + key man
- Where Aaron Ramsey would rank amongst Arsenal’s top earners
- Atlético miss chance to do first double over Real Madrid since 1951
Manchester United readying bid for Celtic star
Manchester United have stepped up their interest in Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama – reports the Guardian.
The defensive midfielder was Celtic’s hero after their shock Champions League win over Barcelona, having scored Celtic’s opening goal and negating the threat of Andres Iniesta and Xavi in Barcelona’s midfield.
The Kenyan’s impressive performance against the Spanish giants was noted by Manchester United’s chief European scout Martin Ferguson, who was in attendance at Celtic Park.
Former United defender Gary Neville, talking of Wanyama man of the match performance against Barcelona, said: “That display has put him right in the shop window and Celtic will do very well to hold on to him.”
The 21-year-old has caught the eye of several top European clubs this season for Celtic, including Arsenal and Manchester City, but its now believed Manchester United are in pole position to land the defensive midfielder with a proposed £12m bid.
Celtic signed Wanyama for a bargain price of £900,000 from Belgium side Germinal Beerschot last year and boss Neil Lennon said last week after the youngster’s impressive performances for the club that he was worth £25m.
Wanyama, who made his debut for Kenya at just 15, is contracted to Celtic until 2014 and has already rejected an offer to improve his deal, which suggests he his open to a possible move to a “bigger” club in the near future.