Top 5 Newcastle United transfer flops
5. Albert Luque (£9.5m from Deportivo) – Another Souness signing that failed to live upto the hype, the Spaniard claimed that the reason behind his dire performances was homesickness. Luque also struggled with a number of injury setbacks during his two year spell.
4. Jean Alain Boumsong (£8m from Rangers) – Alongside Titus Bramble, the two centre-backs became known (unaffectionately) as the chuckle brothers due to their high profile errors. The Frenchman lasted two seasons at the club and was sold on to Juventus for just over £3m.
3. Michael Owen ( £16.2 from Real Madrid) – No matter what way you look at it, the horse f*cker still got relegated with a whole host of reprobates that Graeme Souness and Sam Alladyce had accumulated. With Owen and his reputation, Newcastle dreamed of the big time, instead Geordie fans should have began packing their bags for Scunthorpe away.
2. Marcelinho (£6m from Real Mallorca) – Ruud Gullit did manage to guide the Toon to an FA Cup final and god knows how he pulled it off with this Spanish defender in the starting 11. Newcastle fans will remember he took two months off for a broken thumb and refused to head back to training. His lack of professionalism marks him as one of the worst Premier League signings of all time.
1. Xisco (£5.7m from Deportivo) – Another Deportivo cast-off that ended up on the doorstep of – Executive Director at the time – Dennis Wise. Xisco is still under contract at the North-East club until 2013 and is raking in a reported £50,000 a week.
Latest posts by Steve Morris (see all)
- FIFA 11 Scout – Alessandro Del Piero - March 20, 2011
- Goals nobody remembers – Emmanuel Adebayor (2007/08) - March 15, 2011
- Video: Keeper gets red card after 10 seconds! - February 11, 2011