Manchester United Rule Out Move for Defender
Manchester United will not make an offer for Valencia centre-back Nicolás Otamendi this summer, according to the Manchester Evening News.
The Argentine international has been strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford this summer, but the newspaper has exclusively revealed that Louis van Gaal has ruled out any chance of signing Otamendi.
United are expected to land a new centre-back during this summer’s transfer window and the 27-year-old had been widely-touted as the Dutch manager’s number one target.
However, the Manchester Evening News now understand that Nicolás Otamendi is not one of the names in consideration.
Otamendi joined the Spanish side in February 2014 and was immediately loaned out to Brazilian side Clube Atlético Mineiro. He featured in the 2014 World Cup at the end of that season.
The Argentine was then a key player as part of Nuno’s Valencia defence that were solid at the back in qualify for this season’s UEFA Champions League.
His performances had saw him linked to Manchester United with a hefty price tag.
Whilst at the Copa América this summer, Otamendi increased speculation that he would be leaving the Mestalla by telling reporters:
“Valencia know very well what I want. From there, every word my agent says is obviously with my authorisation.
I’ve had a talk with the president and my agent, and he knows very well what my wish is, but for now I’ve told my agent that my head is here and I’m leaving it in his hands, to do what he needs to do.”
The 2015-16 Premier League season kicks off in under two weeks’ time and Manchester United are currently on their pre-season tour of North America.
It will be interesting to see if Louis van Gaal will sign a new centre-back before the start of the new season, or whether he will leave it late in the transfer window as he did with a number of signings last season.
Latest posts by James Crawford (see all)
- Race for the title: why the run-up to Christmas is so important for Manchester City - December 5, 2019
- Alvin Martin’s 33yo son makes Premier League debut - November 30, 2019
- Will Liverpool Prioritise Premier League Above All Else This Season? - November 19, 2019