- Fee Agreed Key Chelsea Target – Could Complete Move in Days
- Liverpool Ready to Agree 8 Goals, 10 Assists Winger Signing
- Central Midfielder Set to Complete Manchester United Transfer in Days
- Confirmed on Sky Sports – Wenger Wants Highly-rated La Liga Star
- Almost Done – Manchester United to Complete Transfer Deal for £25m Star in Hours
Arsène Wenger Confirms Star Will Miss 4 Weeks Following Injury Setback
Arsenal have suffered another injury blow to start the New Year as Arsène Wenger has revealed that Per Mertesacker will miss at least another 3 weeks after suffering a setback in his recovery from injury.
The German international hasn’t played a single minute of competitive football so far this season having picked up a knee ligament injury during the Gunners’ pre-season friendly with RC Lens back in the summer.
Mertesacker has been undergoing an intense rehabilitation programme back in his homeland, Germany. The defender then returned to full training in mid-December and was hoping to be back in first team duty this month.
However, Arsène Wenger has now revealed that the experienced defender has suffered a setback after picking up a calf injury in training and is now not expected to be available for the next 3-4 weeks.
Wenger told Arsenal.com:
“He had a little calf problem. He’s on the pitch but not close. He’s still three or four weeks away, not more.”
This comes as a blow to Mertesacker who is in the final year of his contract at the Emirates and will be keen to get back on the pitch as soon as possible.
The good news for Arsenal at least is that they have cover at centre-back with Gabriel Paulista and Rob Holding providing additional options to the first-choice pairing of Laurent Koscielny and Shkodran Mustafi.
There’s certainly no need for Wenger to rush Per Mertesacker back before he’s ready and he can be given plenty of time to recover from his latest setback as a result.
Latest posts by James Crawford (see all)
- José Mourinho Gives Positive Update Ahead of Stoke Clash - January 20, 2017
- Steven Gerrard Will Re-Join Liverpool in February - January 20, 2017
- Jürgen Klopp Confirms Double Injury Boost - January 20, 2017