- Man Utd Confirm 13 Ins & Outs This Summer
- Sky Sports: Arsenal Open Talks to Sign World Cup Semi-finalist With £35m Release Clause
- Klopp confirms Liverpool could be without 6 players for Man City clash
- Arsenal handed huge injury boost ahead of Thursday’s clash with Man City
- Confirmed: Man Utd trio to miss Newcastle trip
Arsenal handed huge injury boost ahead of Thursday’s clash with Man City
Arsenal are set to take on Manchester City twice in a week – today’s EFL Cup final at Wembley Stadium and again on Thursday at the Emirates Stadium in their rescheduled Premier League meeting.
The Gunners went down convincingly in the EFL Cup final earlier today, losing 3-0 thanks to goals from Sergio Agüero, Vincent Kompany and David Silva.
After Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang missed an early opportunity in the six-yard box Arsène Wenger’s side offered very little threat to the Manchester City goal.
This was despite City’s holding midfielder, Fernandinho, being replaced early in the second half. It wasn’t a tactical move by Pep Guardiola to bring on attacker Bernardo Silva for the Brazilian.
The 32-year-old suffered an injury that his boss expects to keep him out of Thursday’s Premier League tie. After the game, Guardiola said:
“The next games I think he will be out. We will see tomorrow the amount of injury but it’s a big, big loss for us.”
Fernandinho expected to miss the PL clash with Arsenal on Thursday. "The next games I think he will be out," said Guardiola. "We will see tomorrow the amount of injury but it’s a big, big loss for us." #MCFC
— Ben Dinnery (@BenDinnery) February 25, 2018
With the Premier League title race all but over and having been eliminated from the FA Cup last week, Manchester CIty’s main focus for the remainder of the season will be to win the UEFA Champions League.
Having all but progressed from their second round tie with FC Basel with a 4-0 win in the first leg, Manchester City will want to make sure Fernandinho is back in action and at his best before the quarter-final ties, with the first mach taking place on Tuesday 3 April.
This injury should come as a boost to Arsenal ahead of Thursday’s game. Wenger’s side are currently 10 points outside the Champions League places with their match against Manchester City being their game in hand on their top four rivals.
Latest posts by James Crawford (see all)
- What Would Be The Price of England Winning the 2018 World Cup? - July 11, 2018
- Chelsea Could Announce Maurizio Sarri in Hours - July 9, 2018
- [Photo] Lucas Torreira in Arsenal Shirt - July 7, 2018